–A. 1ppm TCXO Oscillator
–B: “The Clock”
–C. “The Power”
–D. “The Clock” and “The Power” completed
A. 1ppm TCXO Oscillator
1. Fit the 1ppm TCXO oscillator into ‘The Clock” oscillator socket (Y1).
- Observe orientation. Pin 1 of the TCXO oscillator shall align with the square corner of the silk print.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to re-adjust the oscillator by yourself.
B: “The Clock”
1. Choose the adapter that fits your application:
a. 2-pin crystal – use 2 pin adapter
b. 4-pin oscillator DIP 8 Type (square) – use XO DIP8 Adapter
c. 4-pin oscillator DIP 14 Type (rectangular) – use XO DIP14 Adapter
- Three different adapters are attached to ‘The Clock”. Break these off carefully using a small set of pliers and select the one that matches the clock you are replacing.
- You may wish to keep the remaining adapters for future use.
2-pin crystal adapter
1. Unsolder the original crystal (2-pin).
2. Solder the 2-pin crystal adapter in place (non-directional).
3. Connect the supplied cable between the “Adapter XTAL” socket (P3) on ‘The Clock” and the socket on the 2-pin crystal adapter.
- The “Adapter XTAL” socket (P3) on ‘The Clock” is used with the 2-pin crystal adapter
4-pin oscillator (DIP 8-pin and DIP 14-pin) adapter
1. Unsolder the original Oscillator (4-pin).
2. Solder the 4-pin oscillator adapter (XO DIP8 or XO DIP14) in place (pin 1 must be correctly positioned).
3. Connect the supplied cable between the “Adapter XO” socket (P2) on ‘The Clock” and the socket on the 4-pin oscillator adapter.
4. Set the output voltage of ‘The Clock” by the jumper (J1) on ‘The Clock”. Default is 5V.
5. Connect ‘The Clock” module to “The Power” using suitable cables.
- The “Adapter XO” socket (P2) on ‘The Clock” is used with the 4-pin oscillator adapter.
- Usually, older players will require 5V clock, many newer players and most DVD Players will need a 3.3V clock however. If in doubt consult the service manual and/or the manufacturer’s datasheet or measure the supply voltage of the existing oscillator by the following methods:
- Measure the voltage between pin-4 and pin-8 on the DIP8 modules
- Measure the voltage between pin-7 and pin-14 on the DIP14 modules
- The power supply to ‘The Clock” should be at least 10V DC, no more than 16V DC (100mA). The matching ultra low noise power supply “The Power” is highly recommended in order to get the best performance out of “The Clock”.
- If the LED (D3) on “The Power” lights up, but that LED (D2) on ‘The Clock” does not, most likely “The Power” connections are connected incorrectly.
C. “The Power”
1. Mains connection:
- Connect L2 to N1 (short jumper wire)
- Connect mains Live to L1
- Connect mains Neutral to N2
- Connect Earth to Earth; if no Earth is presented, connect via 0.1uF/100V to chassis.
- Connect L1 to L2 (short jumper wire)
- Connect N1 to N2 (short jumper wire)
- Connect Live to L1
- Connect Neutral to N2
- Connect Earth to Earth, if no earth is presented, connect via 0.1uF/100V to chassis.
- Only use suitable, mains rated wire with the “The Power”.
- Be careful to isolate the mains at the take off point in the CD-Player.
- Take care to preserve the insulation requirements for your specific device (Electrical Safety)
2. “The Clock” to “The Power” connection:
- Connect “The Power” + to “The Clock” +
- Connect “The Power” – to “The Clock” –
D. “The Clock” and “The Power” completed